Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Day 1 - A letter to my best friend (30 Day Letter Challenge)

To my best friend,

I am sorry that friendship doesn't make sense between us, anymore. I am sorry that our promise of staying best friends until we turn wrinkly didn't turn out to be true.

The concept of "Best Friends" has been a myth to me and will always be. It's not my friends or you, it's me. However when I hear the words "best friend", I couldn't think of anyone else, but you. We've known each other for around 20 years! Writing to you today brings back all those memories.

I still remember the time I met you. I was moved to a different school in the middle of the year when I was in second grade. The place, the surrounding and the people were all foreign to me. Among all those unfamiliarity, I crossed my paths with you. You were the cutest thing. Two high braids with ribbons on the top, very unusual compared to all the girls who tied the compulsory ribbons at the ends of their braids, heavy fringes on the forehead, taller than the other girls, voice like that of a squirrel and a personality so charming, everyone would want to be around you. I still don't get how you accepted this quiet and boring person as your friend.
Before we knew, we became inseparable. We even started going to the same tuition class. We wouldn't let anyone else join us. My most favorable memory of us was of our playtime. I remember there was a building being constructed in front of your apartment (which ended up to be my Business Maths tuition class ten years later). We use to play Zee Horror Show. One of us would hide in the dug up hole and scare the other by showing just the hand. Creepy, weren't we?! Karishma Kapoor and Govinda were your favorite actors and that made me laugh uncontrollably. It still does.

One fine day when I went to our tuition, the teacher whispered something in my mother's ears. I asked about your absence and they told me you were sick. For a week, I didn't see you. The suspicion and sadness bothered me immensely. Finally, I forced my mother to tell the truth and she told me you moved to a different city, leaving me and my world completely deprived of you. I felt like the most important thing of my life was snatched away from me. I started staying aloof and sad. I got sick. I didn't talk to anyone. To help us, our parents figured out a way and they promised us they would post the letters that we can write to each other. And that was the beginning of something even more beautiful. Being an introvert, it was the best way to express my feelings.
We started writing to each other non-stop. Letters, greeting cards, quizzes (remember, we asked each other questions like who is the maker of Tom & Jerry or who was the author of a particular book and gave prizes to each other for correct answers?), gifts, posters, our photographs, crafts, drawings, postcards with pictures of actors on Diwali and what not! Even though I was successful in making few friends, I was always excited about coming home from meeting them and writing you the important things of my life. We were growing. Our feelings in the letters turned from pencil to ink-pen to ball-point pens, with less spelling and grammatical errors. I still remember on your one birthday, I made a HUGE poster from chart paper with photographs, poems, stories and drawings on it. It was grand.

This was a birthday gift (a folder with poems, letters and friendship band) you made out of gift wrapping paper. Your handwriting were the finest.

After writing letters for more than eight years, we met! We had a ball. We drove in rain, ate junk food, went to the beach and talked our heart out. I stayed at your place and we chatted all night. It was my favorite day with you.
A couple of years later, I received a letter from you telling me you were getting married. Even though I was happy, I felt hard to accept it. I didn't want to share you. I knew your marriage meant less to no communication between yes. Your priorities will be replaced. My college exams disabled me to attend your wedding, which added fuel to the fire. But boy, was I wrong! We still wrote the same way. We met more frequently. You became the mature, responsible women who guided and advised the careless, tomboy in me. You never ignored me. I moved away from India, which made you VERY sad, but nothing changed. My life moved on, I met my love too, you met him, you liked him and it was all perfect.

Then came the worst part. I forced you to get on Facebook. You got on it and EVERYTHING changed. I realized we had nothing in common. We were completely different personalities. Being an uncommunicative person, who suck at small talks, it was hard for me to find things to talk about. We grew up together, but we grew up differently. Those monthly letters were more expressive and talkative than the constant updates we saw of each other. We lost the chemistry. We lost the bond. We hardly talked.

I take it all on me. I am sorry. I am sorry for my habit of pushing things under carpet. I am sorry I neglected the very first bond I was able to make. I am sorry I forgot my first affectionate relationship. I hope this letter brings back all those memories, I hope it conveys that I still love you and you are and will always be my "Best Friend".

They say that if you are friends for eight years, you are friends forever. For me, I was born in this friendship. I lived this friendship. I even died in this friendship. There is nothing more that is needed to validate the 'forever'.

I love you,
Dhara


23 comments:

  1. This is so nice and touching...! I always had my doubts about 'best friends' thing but never told it to anyone. Because everyone has best friends and it is uncool not to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog...enjoyed reading...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You share a great bind there. Are you still in touch?

    What I have learned is that it is not similarities but the disimmilarities that make a person unique. And when someone understands these uncommonalities, it makes them person a best friend. Because despite all odds, they share one important similarity, the bond of friendship, the bond of flawless love towards each other. And frankly speaking, you have a great best friend.

    P.S. I never got around the Best Friend thing due to my inconsistency ar staying at one place and well of course being an introvert. And this post is like a fresh breath and a perspective into the concept. So, thank you. :)
    Not to mention specifically, awesomely written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still in touch through Facebook!
      I have the same problem. I haven't stayed at one place for a while, so I have lost touch with most of the friends over no physical bonding and the left over friends are in touch only through internet.

      Thank you , Ajay.

      Delete
    2. *bond

      Oh, that's great. :)

      Mostly in my case the response is like "Umm, who are you btw?"."have we met before?"

      Delete
  4. I hope that you refresh your relationship soon. Good friendship is a rarity and finding one is a luxury. So don't misd it. Its never late to start afresh. And I am telling you... delete facebook!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Haha.. as much as I dislike some aspects of Facebook, I also enjoy its perks. I have stayed in contact and share lives with so many of my good friends through Facebook. I wouldn't give that away.

      Delete
  5. This had happened to me but because life changed my best friend. To this day, I miss her and there's not a day that passes without relating something or the other with my time together with her. Sadly, she has moved on and changed so much that we don't have anything in common now and she doesn't bother to rekindle the friendship.

    I have always hated FB but never knew it could be poisonous to this extent. Hope you get to rekindle your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is making me feel so bad. :(
      Thank you, Keirthana.

      Delete
  6. Oh damn, DAMN, D.A.M.N., Facebook! X(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I witnessed vivid images and memories of me and my best friend reading this letter. My best friend and I have known each other for 8 years too and well we've drifted apart, fought for a silly reason and just drifted apart. We were in seventh grade then and now she's in medical college and I'm here. Things change and people grow. I never knew that it would mean people grow apart... I missed my best friend reading this post knowing that the two of us did the very same things as you and your bestie like writing letters and sending pictures and collages and cards and gifts.

    Hope you two reconnect and rekindle that light that got lost somewhere in the years.

    P.S. My blog's moved to a new address http://thegaptoothedsmile.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. I am sorry you drifted apart. I wish you all the best too. Hope you rekindle your friendship, soon.
      Love your URL!

      Delete
  8. Life's so short,'saddest summary of life is described by d words,'could have, should have & might have'...so take a chance girl...mail her Dz letter, I knew d magic of Letters, may b she feels d same for u...all d v best....btw....awesome dp..!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I am sure things will get better. :)

      Delete
  9. meaning of friendship:):)
    true frnds nvr apart from lyf!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was really helpful for clients for finding the learn music and dance, we are one of the best. click here for more information. guitar teacher in gurgaon

    ReplyDelete